Teaching in Japan is a chance of a lifetime to explore one of the richest cultures and enjoy some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere in the world. Japan has an ancient culture full of beautiful traditions and art, amazing food, and advanced technologies, offering teachers a unique opportunity to immerse themselves in a one-of-a-kind country.
From visiting ancient Buddhist and Shinto shrines, to hiking the famous Mount Fuji, to exploring the nooks and crannies of sprawling Tokyo, and skiing in Sapporo, Japan has something for everyone. No prior teaching experience is required for this program and at the moment only four-year bachelor or equivalent degree holders are accepted.
Everything here is included as part of your teaching placement:
- A salary of approximately 210,000 to 255,000 Japanese Yen per month (£1,300 to £1,600 / US$1,650 to US$2,000 per month)
- A 12-month renewable contract
- Visa support and assistance
- 40-hour Online Cultural Orientation Course
- Orientation weekends where teachers can meet others that have come through the programme
- Programme fee £995
To apply for our teaching placement in Japan, applicants need to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must be passport holders of any of the following countries: United States, Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, Australia, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Antigua and Barbuda, Barbados, Commonwealth of Dominica, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Liberia, St Christopher (Kitts), St Lucia, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Sierra Leone, Singapore, Swaziland, The Bahamas, The Gambia, Trinidad and Tobago, and Zambia.
- 12 years of schooling in English
- A Bachelor’s degree (in any field of study)
- 120-hour TEFL certificate (don’t have a TEFL qualification yet? Don’t worry! We recommend our 120-hour Premier Online TEFL Course – it’s 100% online and entirely self-paced)
- Participants must be at least between the ages of 21 and 40
- In good physical and mental health
- A criminal background check
- A driving license (for public school placements only)
How to apply
Important dates for application and intake
Eikaiwas in Japan hire throughout the year. December and January tend to be quieter hiring times but otherwise eikaiwas hire year around. Hiring for eikaiwas happens around four months in advance of the start date.
Public schools have two main hiring times: March and September. Hiring for public schools happens around seven months in advance.
Sign up to our Japan Teaching Programme with a 50% deposit.
This allows you to make a start on your 120-hour Premier Online TEFL Course and complete the application and any required paperwork. Once your application has been approved, we will get back in touch to collect the remaining balance.
Email our team on email@example.com and speak to a TEFL adviser who will guide you through the booking process and ensure all your questions are answered. You can also get in touch via webchat.
Special introductory price just £995
Additional costs to consider
- Medical and travel insurance
- Work visa
- Money to cover first months’ expenses
- Accommodation and bills (assistance finding accommodation is provided and your monthly salary will more than cover a private, one-bedroom furnished apartment)
Find out more about teaching English in Japan
£1,395 Special introductory price just £995
Email our team on firstname.lastname@example.org and speak to a TEFL adviser who will guide you through the booking process and ensure all your questions are answered.
Alternatively you can also get in touch via live chat.