Please sign in to view company details
You must be a student with us to view the full job details, please sign in to view the company information.Go to login
Cofradia is a small city located 30 minutes northwest of San Pedro Sula, Honduras. San Pedro Sula is the business capital of Honduras with plenty of Western style shopping, movies, restaurants, and nightclubs. There is a growing expat community and a thriving expat community throughout the country. Honduras is a country rich in culture and history. It is famous for its Copan Ruins and beautiful eco-tourism. Hondurans are incredibly welcoming and friendly people. This school has been in the community of Cofradia for close to twenty years. Most folks in town know the school and truly respect and take care of their volunteers.
Recruiting at this bilingual school, they need motivated, flexible, and resilient individuals to be volunteer teachers at one of their three partnering schools located in rural and semi-rural Honduras. Their mission is to provide quality, affordable bilingual education to the educationally disenfranchised while fostering meaningful cultural exchange.
The organisation provides this bilingual education to over 650 low-income students each year by sending English-speaking volunteers from across the globe to teach core subjects (English, Math, Science) in three partnering elementary and middle bilingual schools. Partnership between Hondurans builds their models, committed to quality, progressive education and international volunteers interested in a truly meaningful cultural collaboration. Aiming for the school to provide its volunteers with a challenging, transformative experience that gives an in-depth understanding of grassroots international development, undeserved Central American communities, bilingual teaching strategies, and community capacity building techniques. As a result, the teachers develop the skills and responsibilities to be effective teachers, communicators, and leaders
- Volunteer teachers teach classes of 25 students in grades kindergarten through 9th grade.
- You’ll plan and teach English Language Arts (ELA), science, maths, and sometimes, arts, physical education, and other “specials.”
- Conduct home visits with their students’ families and run after-school clubs at their perspective schools.
- Team member who plays an integral role in the education of the students.
- Supporting fellow teachers in the classroom, getting to know your students and their families, and immersing oneself Honduran culture.
- Foster a safe and productive classroom environment for students
- Facilitate relationships with students, their parents, and community members through home visits
- Collaborate with the Honduran and International teaching team on school projects, events, planning, and curriculum development
- Serve as a Lunch/Recess monitor
- Contribute to the collaborative and respectful group living experience
- Serve as an ambassador for the school by helping to spread the word about our work
Salary and Benefits:
- Six weeks of teacher training,
- 15+ days off throughout the year,
- Ground transportation to and from the airport,
- High-speed internet, social bonding trips,
- Assistance with obtaining a temporary residency status,
- Ongoing professional development training and other supports
- Provided with free housing and a modest food allowance
- Candidates live together in apartments or houses.
- Couples can apply
Air travel to Honduras, health insurance while in country, and background check costs must be covered by the candidate.
Skills and Requirements:
- Clean criminal record,
- Love for children/working with children,
- Fun and enthusiastic!
- No teaching experience required to volunteer
- Degree not required, but preferred
- Do not need to speak Spanish
- TEFL Certificate
- Commitment to the school’s mission and a dedication to social justice
- Fluency in English
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Willingness to operate in a low-resource environment under challenging living conditions
How to apply
Application details are only available to our students. Please login to your student account view application details:
The TEFL Org is not a recruiter and only advertises teaching vacancies on behalf of schools, employers and recruitment partners. We are not responsible for the accuracy of job descriptions and have no influence over the recruitment process or outcome of job applications. Prior to accepting employment, applicants are advised to research employers fully. Not received a response from an employer? Please contact them directly. We do not hold information on the status of your application.